Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Is the Pope Catholic?

I get a kick out of those on the left expecting the Catholic Church to change their doctrine just becase they have a nifty new idea or way of looking at something. I'll have to dig up which priest related this joke but I thought it encapsulated all that the left does not understand (warning - paraphrased and necessarily a precise rendering):

The Pope is praying to God for guidance about the shortage of priests. He asks, "Will the Church allow priests to marry?" to which God responds, "Not in your lifetime." Then the Pope asks, "Will the Church allow women to become priests?" and God responds, "Not in my lifetime."

Anyway, Lileks has a more secular analogy where he is also spot on:
I have my doctrinal differences with the Catholic church as well; I understand the reasons for requiring priestly celibacy, but I don’t agree with them. I don’t agree with many Catholic positions on issues regarding sexuality. Growing up Lutheran, I was gently guided away from the clanging errancy of Maryolatry. Because I disagree with the Catholic Church on these and a few other matters, I am– how do I put this? – NOT CATHOLIC. Hence I am always amazed by people who want the church to accommodate their thoughts, their new beliefs, their precarious and ingenious rationales, instead of ripping themselves from the bosom and seeking a congregation that doesn't make them feel like a heretic banging thier head on Filarete's doors. To those who want profound change, consider an outsider’s perspective: the Catholic Church is the National Review of religion. You may live long enough to see it become the Weekly Standard. In your dreams it might become the New Republic. But it’s never going to be the Nation. And if ever it does, it will have roughly the same subscriber base.

Yes, yes, easy for me to say, it’s not my church. New age of oppression and intolerance, and all that. Write me when hot-eyed Jesuits walk into a mosque in Qom with ten pounds of Cemtex strapped to their chest."
Sorry, he's so good, I had to excerpt more than just the point I wanted to make. I bolded his reference to the point of this post.


1 Creaks:

Blogger Bill C creaked ...

I once was talking to a friends rather liberal wife who told me she was dissatisfied with the Catholic church for the usual reasons: celibate priests, no women priests, abortion, etc. I told her she should consider becoming an Episcopalian. She could have a church as liberal as she was.

4/23/2005 5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Email Me


Home Page



This page is part of CSS LAYOUT TECHNIQUES, a resource for web developers and designers. Does it VALIDATE? (Ha! Not likely.)

Template Credits::
Eric Costello at Glish for the base templates; Glenn Roveberg at Roveberg for the archives menu; and Ken Ward at Trans4mind for menu open window coding.


Powered by Blogger TM


Subscribe with Bloglines